On-Campus – Interior Recycling and Waste
Recycling provides comprehensive recycling and waste management services for the entire campus. For normal day-to-day recycling and waste needs, Custodial Services, services interior recycling stations and waste containers. Materials are delivered to the loading dock where Recycling staff collects and transports it to our Material Recovery Facility, or landfill. Check out the Recycling Guide for additional resources including what can be recycled and where.
On-Campus – Event Recycling
Recycling provides waste reduction and recycling services for events held on campus. Whether you’re planning a 5K run/walk, a conference, or a party we can help you “green” your event by keeping waste out of the trash can.
We provide a wide range of services, including:
- Loaning recycling containers for you to use during your event. Our staff will work with you prior to the event to determine what waste will be generated, potential opportunities to reduce waste, and the best collection methods. We’ll coordinate the drop off of containers prior to the event and pick up of containers and recyclable materials post event. You are responsible for placing and servicing recycling containers during the event.
- Turnkey recycling. MSU recycling staff will coordinate waste reduction and recycling services for an event and provide staffing during the event for material collection and disposal. We provide all services including planning, implementing and follow up. There is a nominal fee for this service.
- Zero-Waste Event. “Zero Waste maximizes recycling, minimizes waste, reduces consumption and ensures that products are made to be reused, repaired, or recycled back into nature or the marketplace.” MSU Recycling has successfully implemented zero waste events on campus. For these events, we plan ahead to reduce waste, reuse items, and set up Zero-Waste stations for compostable and recyclable material. Zero Waste stations are staffed by MSU Recycling personnel to ensure all materials are properly collected. There is a nominal fee for this service.
On-Campus – Exterior Recycling and Waste
MSU Recycling provides and services external containers for recycling and waste collection. Permanent containers at most buildings are typically routed and serviced routinely. These containers are designed to provide adequate capacity for normal business operations in campus buildings. For special needs, additional Front-Load and Roll-Off recycling and waste containers can be placed to ensure proper management of the materials generated.
Many items are often mistakenly landfilled when they could be reused or recycled at no cost. Please contact us to request an evaluation by MSU Recycling & Surplus Store staff to ensure appropriate containers are requested; or complete a Service Request if containers already in place need servicing or removal.
Area residents along with students, faculty and staff can take advantage of MSU’s Recycling Drop off Center located at 468 Green Way East Lansing, MI 48823 just south of the intersection of Farm Lane and Service Drive. The Recycling Center, open 24/7, accepts nine different types of materials including books and all colors of glass.
Last year community members dropped off over 3.2 million pounds of recyclables at the drop off center. The sale of these recyclables resulted in more than $180,000 in revenue for the University which helped offset the cost of this service and supports the mission of the Surplus Store & Recycling Center.
Contractor/Construction Recycling and Waste
Contractors working on campus can reduce waste disposal costs by utilizing Surplus Store and Recycling’s Waste Evaluation and Removal service. It’s a great way to help meet LEED standards and establish a “green” construction project.
Here’s how it works:
- Department staff meet with contractors prior to commencement of construction activities.
- The project is evaluated and items that can be collected for reuse and recycling are identified.
- Collection methods are determined and pricing is discussed. A formal proposal can be prepared for projects that require it.
- Containers are delivered and materials are collected throughout the project with monthly collection reports/invoices.
Items that can be reused are removed at no charge. Depending on the material, charges may be incurred for servicing containers containing recyclable commodities. Any refuse generated that is collected for disposal by MSU Recycling will be charged at market rates. Hazardous waste or any materials deemed unacceptable by Surplus Store and Recycling staff must be properly disposed by the contractor.
This service can be provided for any size job, from renovating a single room to a whole building. For more detailed information, please contact us.
Items that are commonly collected for reuse include:
- Windows & window treatments
- Doors, trim, etc.
- Office fixtures
- Reusable wood
Items commonly collected for recycling include:
- Corrugated Cardboard
Items that must be properly disposed:
- Carpet (sent to a Waste-to-Energy facility)
- Painted/Stained/treated wood waste